3. Dreams hold meaning. 57 percent said true, 43 percent said false. It makes sense that our daily thoughts and emotions can pop up in dreams but the evidence just isn't there that dreams are windows into the subconscious. "Most contemporary scientists reject the idea that specific dream images carry universal symbolic meaning," they write.
7. A positive attitude can help beat cancer. 74 percent said true, 26 percent said false. Optimism might make cancer patients feel better about their lives, but evidence that it can thwart the disease or that a negative attitude can cause it is unpersuasive.
Are 10 Popular Beliefs True or False
your first instinct. 68 percent said true, 32 percent said false. Actually, research suggests that when students fiddle with answers on multiple choice tests, they're more apt to make incorrect answers correct than make correct answers incorrect. Most people have a midlife crisis. 34 percent said true, 66 percent said false. Au contraire, research findings show that midlife is typically accompanied by a greater sense of well being and control over one's life than before. Psychologist Erik Erikson noted in the 1960s, they write, that "most people grapple with finding direction, meaning, and purpose in their lives, and they strive to find out whether there's a need for mid course correction." But Erikson ballooned the magnitude of this problem, they say, and he described symptoms of a midlife crisis that were not decade specific: "People re evaluate their goals and priorities and experience crises in every decade of life," they add.
We invited you to weigh in on whether 10 widely held notions are true or false. Appealing though they may seem, and while some may contain a shred of truth, every one is false. When stumped by a multiple choice question on a test, always trust Nike Shoes 2018
5. People are either right brained (emotional and artistic) or left brained (logical and analytical). 33 percent said true, 67 percent said false. Although the two sides of the brain may process information somewhat differently, their styles overlap far more than they differ, says Lilienfeld. "Modern neuroscientists have never agreed with many New Age 'hemisphere trainers,' who claim that the brain's two halves house totally dissimilar minds," they write.
8. Venting is better than keeping anger in check. 57 Nike Shoes Red 2018
percent said true, 43 percent said false. Blow your top. Let off steam. Get it off your chest. Scream! Nope Nike Shoes Baby Blue studies suggest that getting angry isn't a great way to cope with anger and may actually intensify it, says Lilienfeld.
lost their jobs, or have had their reputations damaged, because of a polygraph test, he adds.
4. Lie detectors are reliable. 31 percent said true, 69 percent said false. "We know from research that's not true," says Lilienfeld. "It is almost certainly the case," however, that many innocent people have Nike Shoes 2017 Womens
Fila Shoes Price Girls
Nike Shoes For Teenage Girls
Nike Shoes Red Colour
Nike Sneaker Fashion
Nike Shoes 2018 For Women
Fila White Sneakers For Men
Supra Axle Shoes Review
Fila Womens Shoes Costco
Nike Shoes Pink And Orange
Le Coq Sportif Shoes Brisbane
Nike Shoes Exclusive
Nike Black Sneakers Fashion
Nike Shoes Zero
Shoes Nike 2018
Nike Sneakers Men 2018